First thing that you must instill in your mind when hiring a civil contractor is that it is your call and not anybody else. You will be the one to pay, so it will be your reference that must be considered and not what some advisers want. You might consider some suggestions especially if you have no idea how to determine which one is reliable, but that is all they can interfere with in your decision. Remember that you are looking for someone to do a job for you that might go on for months depending on the extent of the job that means you will be dealing with him for some time. So, you and the contractor must at least get along to have a smooth relationship.
Before finalizing anything, you must check and learn about your prospects by asking them with questions relating to the job. Compare their answers and from there, you can surely find someone suitable and worthy of your hard earned money. To guide you with in this task, here are some of the things you need from them:
– Their business history – this is very important so that you will know if the particular contractor is properly licensed, his attitude towards his staff, if he is fair with them, how he handles liabilities when it comes to properties, just anything about the way he handles his business as a whole.
– Check out if once the project will start, who will be there to supervise the workers at the site and how is the supervision done. This is another important factor to know beforehand to make sure if the contractor himself will administer the workforce. Another point to check is if he has permanent crews or most of them are just subcontracted.
– Ask for a definite timeline. Before signing up with any contract, you must first settle this issue from the implementation of the project until it is completely done. In fact this aspect must be included in the contract as well. Check also with the civil contractor as to his way of updating you of the development of the project and point out that there are times you want to personally visit in the site to make sure everything is according to schedule.
– Another thing to settle is the name of the payee. Of course this is already obvious but if you are paying him through checks, there are times when a contractor would ask their client to name it on another account for some reasons they only know. You must check their reasons if they are valid.
– Lastly, do not just be contented with what the contractor provides you especially when it comes to their permits. You can check them for yourself via online information. This is also one way to know if he is indeed an honest one.
In whatever situation wherein your hard earned money will be utilized, you surely want to see to it that everything is as you see them to avoid any problems in the future.